HERE IS SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW BEFORE COMING TO YOUR SCHEDULED PROCEDURE.
- If you have been scheduled to have general anesthesia for your surgery, it is essential that you do not eat or drink anything for 8 hours prior to surgery. Any liquid or solid food in your stomach during anesthesia can have life-threatening consequences. If you have accidentally eaten anything prior to surgery, inform the doctor immediately.
- Please do not smoke or ingest alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Please brush your teeth prior to your appointment. This will help reduce the amount of bacterium in your mouth and lower your chance of an infection.
- Please bring a responsible adult to wait in the waiting room during the procedure and drive you home afterward. You will be groggy for several hours after your surgery and unable to drive. If you have been given a prescription to take prior to surgery, make arrangements to be driven to the office—do not drive yourself. Sedative medications can act quickly and seriously affect your driving ability.
- Wear loose-fitting and comfortable clothing. We recommend a short-sleeved shirt for ease in taking your blood pressure and applying monitors. A T-shirt, sweat pants, and gym shoes are always a good choice.
- Take care of financial arrangements, ask questions, and use the bathroom before surgery; you will be too sleepy to remember these things afterward.
- Call if you have any questions concerning these instructions or your scheduled appointment. While the thought of any surgery can be a little frightening, our patients usually find it to be a comfortable, pleasant, and painless experience.
- Please let us know if there’s anything that we can do to accommodate you.
If you have any additional questions, please call our office. Our staff wants to help you in any way possible to make your surgical experience more pleasant and comfortable. Thank you.
We Are Here To Help
Please contact our office if you have any questions or issues with these instructions.
Take the instructions on the go. Download in PDF format.